Lawrence Peart

Horns Stomp Rebels

For the first time in school history, the Texas Longhorns traveld to Oxford, Miss. to play the Ole Miss Rebels, an event that drew a capacity crowd to Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, estimated at 61,797. By the fourth quarter, however, the majority of the fans had already left, as Texas ran away with a 66-31 win.

Texas captains Trey Hopkins, Alex Okafor, Kenny Vaccaro, and Ryan Roberson prepare to take the field before the Longhorns' first-ever trip to Oxford. Texas went on to trounce the Rebels, 66-31, to improve to 3-0. Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart | Daily Texan Staff

Junior linebacker Jordan Hicks brings down Ole Miss' Randall Mackey, one of his three tackles in the 66-31 victory. The Longhorns defense allowed nearly 400 yards, not including a 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. But the Texas offense more than made up for the defensive miscues, scoring more points in one game since the 2005 Big 12 title game. Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon | Daily Texan Staff

Alex Okafor takes on a Rebels offensive lineman. The senior defensive end made three tackles, including two of Texas' five sacks — all in the first half — on the night. Okafor was part of a defense that picked off Ole Miss quarterback Bo Wallace three times but found itself susceptible to giving up big plays. Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart | Daily Texan Staff

Senior D. J. Monroe prepares to celebrate after a 10-yard touchdown run in the third quarter — the first of five second-half touchdowns scored by Texas against Ole Miss Saturday. Monroe, who has scored in each of the Longhorns' three games this season, was part of a Texas offense that racked up 676 total yards, tied for the second-highest single-game total in school history. Photo Credit: Andrew Torrey | Daily Texan Staff

Sophomore quarterback David Ash eludes an Ole Miss defender during the Longhorns' win over the Rebels Saturday. Ash was 19-of-23 passing for 324 yards and four touchdowns — both career-highs. Photo Credit: Lawrence Peart | Daily Texan Staff

Sophomore running back Joe Bergeron gets one of his 11 carries against Ole Miss Saturday. Bergeron ran for 48 yards before exiting with a shoulder injury, although the initial prognosis is not serious. Photo Credit: Andrew Torrey | Daily Texan Staff

Behind the Lens: One moment from two angles

Editor's Note: This entry is a part of our new blog series, Behind the Lens, where we show you what it is like to be a photographer for The Daily Texan.

The images below are meant to show how two different photographers perceive the same moment from two different angles:

Photographer Lawrence Peart, marked in fig. 1 with an orange and white star, is shown in fig. 1 at the moment that he shot fig. 2.

San Diego or bust: Texan staffers recount the grueling journey

Mack Brown talks with the media after The Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl press conference early Tuesday. Brown spoke of his great admiration for the University of California football program and their coach, Jeff Tedford, whom he holds in high regard
Mack Brown talks with the media after The Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl press conference early Tuesday. Brown spoke of his great admiration for the University of California football program and their coach, Jeff Tedford, whom he holds in high regard

Road trip to San Diego both enjoyable and productive

Time flies when you’re having fun.

And a lot of time flew by on the way to San Diego – a little under 18 hours to be exact.

Elisabeth Dillon drove for the first 15 of those hours, not including the hour and a half she spent picking up Lawrence Peart and I. How she managed to stay behind the wheel from 11:30 a.m. Monday morning until 2:00 a.m. (4:00 a.m. back in Austin) early Tuesday morning across four states, stopping only for gas, remains a mystery to me.

Lawrence kept everyone entertained through his frustrations playing Paper Toss and multiple triumphs while playing Monopoly on the new iPad I got for Christmas. If his Monopoly performance is any indication of how he can succeed with real money, he has the potential to become quite the businessman.

During our last few hours in Texas and our first couple in New Mexico, I was frantically refreshing the web page on my iPhone trying to keep track of how Drew Brees – the quarterback on all four of my fantasy football teams – and the New Orleans Saints were doing against the Atlanta Falcons on Monday Night Football. Brees’ 307-yard, four-touchdown outing was more than enough to allow me to capture two fantasy football titles as the former Westlake High star broke Dan Marino’s single-season passing record and helped the Saints clinch the NFC South in the process.

We rolled into San Diego at around 4 a.m. and wandered around until about 8 a.m. Incredibly, neither Elisabeth nor Lawrence got hungry during the road trip, eating a granola bar, a few crackers, and a couple of oranges between them. I grabbed a bite to eat at Subway the first time we stopped for gas but the three of us did not all enjoy a meal until we reached our destination and stopped at the Family House of Pancakes – a place notorious for its huge portions.

They certainly did not disappoint as I was presented with an omelet that, as Lawrence described, “looks like there could be a small infant inside.” Along with heaps of potatoes and three giant pancakes, it looked like a scene from Man vs. Food when the waitress set the gargantuan dish in front of me. But like Elisabeth driving from Texas to San Diego, I could not have finished without Lawrence’s help.

A press conference and a pit stop at Trader Joe’s later, the three of us were finally able to enjoy the comforts of our Holiday Inn hotel. We were all glad to have a shower to use and beds to take naps on, but this road trip was one to remember.

-Christian Corona

Robot Dillon takes us to the land of milk and honey (pancakes and syrup)

Google Maps estimated that the drive from Dallas to San Diego would take 21 hours. Elisabeth Dillon got us there in 18, and it could have been less, a lot less. We hit some traffic near Abilene and definitely lost some ground when I took over at the 16 hour mark because I drive like an old woman looking at the mountains. I echo Christian’s sentiments in my equal disbelief that she could remain awake in the face of such monotony. I even asked her if she was getting tunnel vision. She wasn’t.

After many hours of real-estate domination and asking E-Dill if “we were there yet”, I rolled the Mystery Mobile into a pitch black San Diego morning at what I assumed was 6:45 am, curious as to why the sun hadn’t come up yet only to be reminded that California operates two hours behind Texas. It wasn’t even five in the morning. Check-in at our hotel was at three in the afternoon so we had a few hours *cough* to spare. I parked the car near Mission Bay for a quick nap, we (Christian kept sleeping) watched the sun rise over some distant wharf, heard a few seagulls complain incessantly, and walked around Seaport Village until 8am. By then the sun was out and you couldn’t help but agree with what Californians are always gloating about: even in December the weather was heavenly.

Yelp happily suggested that if we were looking for “the best breakfast in San Diego” on a limited budget then the place to go was Family House of Pancakes, a wonderfully yellow-tinged 70’s motel of a place that clearly assumed that you hadn’t had anything to eat in 6 months. Christian’s omelet should have been shipped off to feed a third-world country, Elisabeth’s pancake plate could have doubled as a quilt, and my egg combo plate almost did the unthinkable by just about filling me up. That only happened after I cleaned off a third of the delicious omelet. We work as a team here at The Daily Texan.

We then headed to the Omni hotel to see Mack Attack (Mack Brown) in good spirits, talking about the final game of the 2011 campaign against California, before finally making our way to our hotel to rest our legs and minds. The three of us have covered a lot of football this semester, when I think about it. I don’t think it’s going too far to say that after seeing the same people and the same personalities go through so much with you right there that it all becomes a part of you in some way. Regardless of the outcome tomorrow night there will inevitably be that small, gnawing feeling of loss, like parting with someone close to you. But these things happen, and you can’t replace the memories, whether they be of all that happened on the field (Tucker!) or everything leading up to the game. San Diego will be no exception.

-Lawrence Peart

Proving Google Maps wrong

I didn’t really know what to expect from this road trip, because I had only been thinking about the football game and what would happen when we actually got to San Diego. So, looking back on the trip with Christian and Lawrence, it’s nice to be able to say that it was a great one.

Cutting three hours off of the estimated Google maps travel time to San Diego was a fairly big accomplishment for me. Each time we stopped at a gas station, it was like a badge of honor to figure out how much time we had been trimming off the original estimation. Really, though, the drive wasn’t bad. I had some entertaining company to say the least. Lawrence was pretty enthusiastic about Monopoly on Christian’s iPad. And Christian was pretty enthusiastic about his fantasy football leagues.

Lawrence finished the drive into San Diego (slowly, might I add) and we got there at 4:30 am local time. We had some major time to kill before our hotel check-in time that afternoon, so we found a spot to watch the sun rise. Christian slept, but Lawrence and I watched a California sunrise. It’s unbelievable to me to think that 24 hours before we had been sleeping in Texas.

The next big stop was breakfast. I don’t think I could do justice to describing the amount of food that the guys ate. There was not a single piece of food on their plates. Christian’s omelet was insane, and he was lucky to have Lawrence to help him finish it off. I just can’t fathom the amount of food that was on our table. As they each finished their plates, I could only watch in shock. And after we left the restaurant, Lawrence started planning his next meals. I just don’t understand.

The rest of the day was spent just counting down the hours until we could check into the hotel. And now I’m sitting in the most comfortable hotel bed there ever could be and watching bowl games in preparation for tomorrow.

This was my first semester shooting for Texan, and I can’t even believe all of the great things I’ve experienced working at this paper. I’ve been lucky enough to shoot some great football games this year, and go on several other football road trips with Lawrence, but this has to be the biggest one. San Diego is something the three of us will remember forever.

-Elisabeth Dillon

Not Just for Clothes Anymore


Lawrence Peart | Daily Texan Staff

Senior advertising major Suchada Sutasirisap and Parinda Aiamjaroen practice Chairball at the San Jacinto basketball courts, Wednesday afternoon. Both are members of the UT Thai Association, whose Chairball team will participate in a Tri-City tournament this fall.

Austin police prepare to enter Calhoun Hall on the South Mall Tuesday morning after a gunman opened fire near the Littlefield fountain and later fatally shot himself on the sixth floor of the Perry-CastaƱeda Library. Austin Police Department and SWAT officers suspected an additional gunman was in Calhoun Hall but quickly determined the shooter acted alone.

Photo Credit: Tamir Kalifa | Daily Texan Staff

The UT campus was on lockdown for nearly four hours Tuesday because of a shooting incident that ended when the gunman, armed with an AK-47 rifle, took his own life after unleashing a barrage of bullets and being cornered by police on the sixth floor of the Perry-Castañeda Library.

Campus administrators identified the gunman as 19-year-old mathematics sophomore Colton Tooley.

A half-dozen law enforcement agencies, including the Austin Police Department, University of Texas Police Department, the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Austin Independent School District Police Department, responded to the shooting and its aftermath.

Officials said no students were hurt in the shooting, although a couple of students were mildly injured during the evacuation process.

“I am grateful to our campus community for the way it responded to the emergency that took place at the Perry-Castañeda Library [Tuesday] morning,” UT President William Powers Jr. said in a statement issued Tuesday afternoon. “I extend my sympathy to the family, friends and classmates of the young student who took his life.”

The lockdown was lifted at 12:15 p.m. The University was then closed and nonessential personnel were released for the remainder of Tuesday. UT shuttles routes ran, but only in the outbound direction so students and staff could get home, said UT spokeswoman Rhonda Weldon.

The incident began just after 8 a.m. as Tooley walked from 21st Street near Guadalupe Street, heading deeper into campus wearing a dark suit, ski mask and carrying an AK-47 in his hand.

The University sent the first emergency text messages warning of an armed man on campus at 8:23 a.m. The message was quickly followed by a warning from UT officials for students and staff to find shelter and lock all doors.

“He had a black mask and he was walking down the street,” said Ruben Cordoba, a maintenance worker at Dobie Center who was working on the plaza level of the dormitory, which is three stories above 21st Street. “I thought he was joking because he had an AK-47 in his hand ... I heard three shots to the left and three shots to the right.”

Other eyewitnesses said they heard as many as 10 shots, and said they thought he was shooting at the University Catholic Church and the South Mall. After shooting, he continued to run toward the PCL.

Lawrence Peart, an international relations junior, was locking up his bike at the library when he heard the first gun shots. He said a taxi came down the street honking its horn to warn the students, but he didn’t think much of it until he saw students running.

“So I start advancing toward the entrance and a man — pretty tall in a black business suit, ski mask and an AK-47 — runs in front of me, so I froze,” Peart said. “He was running down the 21st Street along that brick wall that’s beside the PCL and he glances over at me. He looked at me in the eyes then waved his arm as if to say, ‘Don’t come in here. Go away.’”

Officers chased Tooley off the street and into the library, said Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo. Once inside, Tooley ran to the stairwell and climbed the stairs to the sixth floor, where he took his own life at 8:50 a.m., Acevedo said.

“Almost immediately, members of [APD] and [UTPD] ended up on campus, spotted the suspect and gave chase to that suspect,” Acevedo said. “I want to commend the students of the University of Texas that led the way to the suspect — that as our officers ran and tried to find and chase after him, the students kept pointing [the officers] in the right direction.”


Authorities held a press conference on the UT shooting at the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center.

In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, tactical response teams from APD and DPS searched surrounding buildings for a rumored second suspect. However, officials ruled out any such possibility and said that reports of a second suspect resulted from conflicting descriptions of the shooter.

UTPD Chief Robert Dahlstrom and Acevedo credited joint exercises between both agencies for the quick response and lack of fatalities.

“There’s no doubt that the training paid off in this situation and prevented a much more tragic situation than what we had happen this morning,” Dahlstrom said.

— Additional reporting by Gerald Rich