San Diego

OpenCalais Metadata: Latitude: 
OpenCalais Metadata: Longitude: 
Junior outfielder Ben Johnson whiffs at a pitch. Head coach Augie Garrido thought Texas was not disciplined enough.
Photo Credit: Joshua Guerra | Daily Texan Staff

For eight innings, the Texas pitchers managed to work around various situations to keep San Diego off the board.

With the bases loaded and no outs in the top of the ninth, that luck ran out.

John Grimsley, San Diego freshman center fielder, grounded out to second base, allowing the first run of the game to score. The Toreros added five more runs in the ninth to take a 6-0 lead going into the bottom of the ninth. Texas was unable to rally and ultimately lost the game to San Diego.

“I think that we played with a lack of discipline,” head coach Augie Garrido said.

Texas sophomore starting pitcher Josh Sawyer struggled a little through the first four innings but managed to come through when he needed to. San Diego got a runner to third in three of those four innings but ended up with nothing.

Sophomore pitcher Kacy Clemens followed up, allowing San Diego to get runners to second and third with one out. Clemens got the next two batters to strike out and fly out to get out of the fifth inning.

It wasn’t until the ninth inning that everything went haywire.

After surrendering a leadoff walk, junior relief pitcher Ty Culbreth fielded a bunt and airmailed the throw to first, allowing the runners to advance to second and third. Following an intentional walk to load the bases, Grimsley broke the 0–0 deadlock with the RBI ground out. San Diego followed that up with three more RBI singles and a sacrifice fly.

Texas was unable to cash in during the bottom half.

The Longhorns had a chance with a runner at second and one out in the eighth to take the lead but failed to follow through at the plate.

“In the eighth inning … it was still about strikeouts on balls outside of the strike zone,” Garrido said. “We consistently did that throughout the two games.”

Cold weather and a slight drizzle forced the cancellation of Friday and Saturday night games and turned Sunday’s one scheduled game into a doubleheader.

The first game of the doubleheader also looked promising for the Longhorns, who struck first in the first inning after senior right fielder Collin Shaw stretched out a double and then scored on a sacrifice fly by junior shortstop C.J Hinojosa.

In the top of the second, freshman third baseman Bret Boswell overthrew the ball to first to allow San Diego’s leadoff man to reach second. The Toreros tied up the game on a single by freshman designated hitter Hunter Mercado-Hood. Mercado-Hood then scored on a double to give San Diego a 2–1 lead it would not relinquish. The Toreros added one more run to win the first game, 3–1.

Texas will travel to Palo Alto, California, to face Stanford in a four-game series beginning Thursday. 

This Fridays’ opening races proved for a great start to what has been a victorious weekend for Women’s Rowing. After the opening races, Texas was tied for first with San Diego at 20 points. Iowa and Oklahoma trailed in third while UCF and Kansas State were tied for fifth. SMU and Tulsa had yet to earn any points. 

Saturday, Texas hit the water strong, posting seven wins throughout the third session of the Longhorn Invitational. The Longhorns finished day two with a total of 60 points and the lead over rival Oklahoma, who trailed close behind with 58 points.

Texas opened the final round Sunday with their championship dual against Oklahoma and won with the first novice boat lead by sophomore Christine Young, beating the Sooners by 15 seconds. During the varsity’s second eight-boat face-off the Sooners claimed the lead over Texas, taking the win with a time of 6:37.0. Texas’ first varsity four, lead by stroke seat Katie Trovato, finished close behind Oklahoma with a time of 7:36.0 but failed to gain enough points to override the Sooners. Texas took a second place overall at the Invitational. The Longhorns will travel to San Diego April 6-7 for the annual Crew Classic.

San Diego or bust: Texan staffers recount the grueling journey

Mack Brown talks with the media after The Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl press conference early Tuesday. Brown spoke of his great admiration for the University of California football program and their coach, Jeff Tedford, whom he holds in high regard
Mack Brown talks with the media after The Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl press conference early Tuesday. Brown spoke of his great admiration for the University of California football program and their coach, Jeff Tedford, whom he holds in high regard

Road trip to San Diego both enjoyable and productive

Time flies when you’re having fun.

And a lot of time flew by on the way to San Diego – a little under 18 hours to be exact.

Elisabeth Dillon drove for the first 15 of those hours, not including the hour and a half she spent picking up Lawrence Peart and I. How she managed to stay behind the wheel from 11:30 a.m. Monday morning until 2:00 a.m. (4:00 a.m. back in Austin) early Tuesday morning across four states, stopping only for gas, remains a mystery to me.

Lawrence kept everyone entertained through his frustrations playing Paper Toss and multiple triumphs while playing Monopoly on the new iPad I got for Christmas. If his Monopoly performance is any indication of how he can succeed with real money, he has the potential to become quite the businessman.

During our last few hours in Texas and our first couple in New Mexico, I was frantically refreshing the web page on my iPhone trying to keep track of how Drew Brees – the quarterback on all four of my fantasy football teams – and the New Orleans Saints were doing against the Atlanta Falcons on Monday Night Football. Brees’ 307-yard, four-touchdown outing was more than enough to allow me to capture two fantasy football titles as the former Westlake High star broke Dan Marino’s single-season passing record and helped the Saints clinch the NFC South in the process.

We rolled into San Diego at around 4 a.m. and wandered around until about 8 a.m. Incredibly, neither Elisabeth nor Lawrence got hungry during the road trip, eating a granola bar, a few crackers, and a couple of oranges between them. I grabbed a bite to eat at Subway the first time we stopped for gas but the three of us did not all enjoy a meal until we reached our destination and stopped at the Family House of Pancakes – a place notorious for its huge portions.

They certainly did not disappoint as I was presented with an omelet that, as Lawrence described, “looks like there could be a small infant inside.” Along with heaps of potatoes and three giant pancakes, it looked like a scene from Man vs. Food when the waitress set the gargantuan dish in front of me. But like Elisabeth driving from Texas to San Diego, I could not have finished without Lawrence’s help.

A press conference and a pit stop at Trader Joe’s later, the three of us were finally able to enjoy the comforts of our Holiday Inn hotel. We were all glad to have a shower to use and beds to take naps on, but this road trip was one to remember.

-Christian Corona

Robot Dillon takes us to the land of milk and honey (pancakes and syrup)

Google Maps estimated that the drive from Dallas to San Diego would take 21 hours. Elisabeth Dillon got us there in 18, and it could have been less, a lot less. We hit some traffic near Abilene and definitely lost some ground when I took over at the 16 hour mark because I drive like an old woman looking at the mountains. I echo Christian’s sentiments in my equal disbelief that she could remain awake in the face of such monotony. I even asked her if she was getting tunnel vision. She wasn’t.

After many hours of real-estate domination and asking E-Dill if “we were there yet”, I rolled the Mystery Mobile into a pitch black San Diego morning at what I assumed was 6:45 am, curious as to why the sun hadn’t come up yet only to be reminded that California operates two hours behind Texas. It wasn’t even five in the morning. Check-in at our hotel was at three in the afternoon so we had a few hours *cough* to spare. I parked the car near Mission Bay for a quick nap, we (Christian kept sleeping) watched the sun rise over some distant wharf, heard a few seagulls complain incessantly, and walked around Seaport Village until 8am. By then the sun was out and you couldn’t help but agree with what Californians are always gloating about: even in December the weather was heavenly.

Yelp happily suggested that if we were looking for “the best breakfast in San Diego” on a limited budget then the place to go was Family House of Pancakes, a wonderfully yellow-tinged 70’s motel of a place that clearly assumed that you hadn’t had anything to eat in 6 months. Christian’s omelet should have been shipped off to feed a third-world country, Elisabeth’s pancake plate could have doubled as a quilt, and my egg combo plate almost did the unthinkable by just about filling me up. That only happened after I cleaned off a third of the delicious omelet. We work as a team here at The Daily Texan.

We then headed to the Omni hotel to see Mack Attack (Mack Brown) in good spirits, talking about the final game of the 2011 campaign against California, before finally making our way to our hotel to rest our legs and minds. The three of us have covered a lot of football this semester, when I think about it. I don’t think it’s going too far to say that after seeing the same people and the same personalities go through so much with you right there that it all becomes a part of you in some way. Regardless of the outcome tomorrow night there will inevitably be that small, gnawing feeling of loss, like parting with someone close to you. But these things happen, and you can’t replace the memories, whether they be of all that happened on the field (Tucker!) or everything leading up to the game. San Diego will be no exception.

-Lawrence Peart

Proving Google Maps wrong

I didn’t really know what to expect from this road trip, because I had only been thinking about the football game and what would happen when we actually got to San Diego. So, looking back on the trip with Christian and Lawrence, it’s nice to be able to say that it was a great one.

Cutting three hours off of the estimated Google maps travel time to San Diego was a fairly big accomplishment for me. Each time we stopped at a gas station, it was like a badge of honor to figure out how much time we had been trimming off the original estimation. Really, though, the drive wasn’t bad. I had some entertaining company to say the least. Lawrence was pretty enthusiastic about Monopoly on Christian’s iPad. And Christian was pretty enthusiastic about his fantasy football leagues.

Lawrence finished the drive into San Diego (slowly, might I add) and we got there at 4:30 am local time. We had some major time to kill before our hotel check-in time that afternoon, so we found a spot to watch the sun rise. Christian slept, but Lawrence and I watched a California sunrise. It’s unbelievable to me to think that 24 hours before we had been sleeping in Texas.

The next big stop was breakfast. I don’t think I could do justice to describing the amount of food that the guys ate. There was not a single piece of food on their plates. Christian’s omelet was insane, and he was lucky to have Lawrence to help him finish it off. I just can’t fathom the amount of food that was on our table. As they each finished their plates, I could only watch in shock. And after we left the restaurant, Lawrence started planning his next meals. I just don’t understand.

The rest of the day was spent just counting down the hours until we could check into the hotel. And now I’m sitting in the most comfortable hotel bed there ever could be and watching bowl games in preparation for tomorrow.

This was my first semester shooting for Texan, and I can’t even believe all of the great things I’ve experienced working at this paper. I’ve been lucky enough to shoot some great football games this year, and go on several other football road trips with Lawrence, but this has to be the biggest one. San Diego is something the three of us will remember forever.

-Elisabeth Dillon

Daniel Chong appears at a news conference where he discussed his detention by the DEA during a news conference on Tuesday in San Diego.

Photo Credit: The Associated Press

SAN DIEGO — A college student picked up in a federal drug sweep in California was never arrested, never charged and should have been released. Instead, authorities say, he was forgotten in a holding cell for four days.

Without food, water or access to a toilet, Daniel Chong had to drink his own urine to survive and began hallucinating after three days because of a lack of nourishment, his lawyer said.

“He nearly died,” Eugene Iredale said. “If he had been there another 12 to 24 hours, he probably would have died.” The top Drug Enforcement Administration agent in San Diego apologized Wednesday for Chong’s treatment and promised an investigation into how his agents could have forgotten about him.

Iredale said he intends to seek damages from the DEA, and may file a lawsuit against the government.

The incident stands out as one of the worst cases of its kind, said Thomas Beauclair, deputy director of the National Corrections Institute, a federal agency that provides training and technical assistance to corrections agencies.

“That is pretty much unheard of,” he said, noting that, in his 40-year career, he has heard of instances where people were forgotten overnight but not for days.

The U-T San Diego was the first to report Chong’s account. Iredale said Chong, an engineering student at the University of California, San Diego, went to his friend’s house on April 20 to get high. Every April 20th, pot smokers light up in a counterculture ritual held around the country at 4:20 p.m.

Chong fell asleep and, around 9 a.m. the next day, Iredale said, agents swept through the house in a raid that netted 18,000 ecstasy pills, other drugs and weapons. Nine people, including Chong, were taken into custody.

Chong was questioned for four hours and then told that he would be released, Iredale said. Chong was handcuffed and placed back in the same cell, a 5-by-10-foot windowless room. The DEA said there are five cells at the facility.

The only view out was through a tiny peephole in the door. He could hear the muffled voices of agents and the sound of the door of the next cell being opened and closed, Iredale said. As the hours dragged into days, he kicked and screamed as loud as he could, he said.

At one point, he ripped a piece of his clothing off and shoved it under the door, hoping someone would spot it and free him, his attorney said. Chong also ripped away foam from the wall.

Chong drank his own urine to survive. He bit into his eyeglasses to break them and then tried to use a shard to scratch “Sorry Mom” into his arm. He stopped after the “S,” the attorney said. He said he believes Chong was thinking of killing himself.

Then the lights went out. He sat in darkness until the door finally opened April 25, Iredale said.

Chong told agents that he ingested a white powder they later identified as methamphetamine. It was not clear how the powder got into the cell. Chong told them it was not his, the lawyer said.

Paramedics took him to a hospital where he was treated for cramps, dehydration, a perforated esophagus (from swallowing a glass shard) and kidney failure, his lawyer said.

Chong was not going to be charged with a crime and should have been released, said a law enforcement official who was briefed on the DEA case and spoke on the condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak about the ongoing investigation.

Chong spent three days in intensive care and five total at the hospital before leaving Sunday.

“The DEA’s answer to this is: ‘Oh, we forgot about him. I’m sorry,’” Iredale said.

The top DEA agent in San Diego, William R. Sherman, said in a news release that he was “deeply troubled” by what happened to Chong. “I extend my deepest apologies (to) the young man,” he said.

Sherman said the event is not indicative of the high standards to which he holds his employees. He said he has personally ordered an extensive review of his office’s policies and procedures. The agency declined to say what those were.

Printed on Thursday, May 3, 2012 as: College student forgotten in cell for 4 days

Marine Sgt. Gary Stein speaks with reporters in front of the federal court building Friday, April 13, 2012, in San Diego. U.S. District Judge Marilyn Huff on Friday, April 13, 2012 denied a request to block discharge proceedings of Stein, who faces being kicked out of the military and loss of benefits for criticizing President Barack Obama on Facebook.

Photo Credit: The Associated Press

SAN DIEGO — A sergeant will be discharged for criticizing President Barack Obama on Facebook in a case that called into question the Pentagon’s policies about social media and its limits on the speech of active duty military personnel, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.

Sgt. Gary Stein will get an other-than-honorable discharge and lose most of his benefits for violating the policies, the Corps said.

The San Diego-area Marine who has served nine years in the Corps said he was disappointed, and argued that he was exercising his constitutional rights to free speech.
“I love the Marine Corps, I love my job. I wish it wouldn’t have gone this way. I’m having a hard time seeing how 15 words on Facebook could have ruined my nine-year career,” he told The Associated Press.

Gary Kreep, an attorney for Stein, said he would pursue administrative appeals within the Marine Corps but anticipates the effort will fail. He said he planned to file an amended complaint in federal court.

“As long as he wants to pursue this, we will be supporting him,” said Kreep, who is executive director of the United States Justice Foundation, an advocacy group.
The Marines acted after saying Stein stated March 1 on a Facebook page used by Marine meteorologists, “Screw Obama and I will not follow all orders from him.” Stein later clarified, saying he would not follow unlawful orders.
Brig. Gen. Daniel Yoo, the commanding general of the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, said Wednesday that evidence supported a recommendation to
discharge Stein.

Tom Umberg, a former Army colonel and military prosecutor, believes the decision to discharge Stein will have limited impact because the vast majority of Marines would never consider such postings.

“I think 99 percent of the soldiers and Marines currently on duty understand the duties of supporting the chain of command and understand their rights of free speech are limited,” he said. “To that 1 percent who don’t know their rights to free speech are limited once they take the oath, this is a loud and
clear message.”

Printed on Thursday, April 26, 2012 as: Case explores military free speech

Women's Golf

Last spring, it was junior Madison Pressel. In November, it was senior Nicole Vandermade. Two weeks ago it was junior Haley Stephens. And this week, it was junior Desiree Dubreuil.

Dubreuil had her best tournament since coming to Texas, bursting onto the scene to finish a career best of 12th overall at the Battle at Rancho Bernardo Inn in San Diego. After starting Tuesday’s final round with a bogey on the first hole and four bogeys overall, Dubreuil stayed calm, finishing two birdies over the final seven holes to match her Monday total of 2-over-par.

The experienced Longhorns have had stellar showings individually but have failed to put together a very strong collective effort this spring. Dubreuil became the third different golfer to lead Texas this season. Texas finished 10th overall as a team, shooting 41-over-par, and 27 shots behind winner and third-ranked USC.

“As a team, I look at what do we need to work on collectively as a group,” said head coach Martha Richards. “I know they were frustrated and played hard the whole time.”

In November, Vandermade won the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational, and soared to a top 10 ranking nationally following three top-10 finishes on the season. Coming into San Diego this week, Vandermade looked to capitalize on a familiar course where she had a strong tournament last year.

“[Last year] she managed her game really well, and this golf course allows her to have an advantage on the par 5s and a couple of the longer par 4s,” Richards said.

However, it was not Vandermade’s week, birdying only two of the 36 holes. Pressel finished strong down the stretch, grabbing two consecutive birdies to finish three strokes better than the first round.

The conditions were decent at best following heavy showers over the weekend, causing strong winds and wet greens.

“Everyone needs to work a lot on their short game,” Richards said. “It’s not that our short games are bad, but they just haven’t been good enough to help us.”

Texas heads out west again in about two weeks for their final tournament of the regular season in Tempe, Ariz.

Published on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 as: Dubreuil leads Horns with 12th-place finish

Men's Tennis

While students are counting down the minutes until they can hit the road to the beach for spring break, the Longhorns are gearing up for a full week of tough tennis matches at home.

Texas will take on the top-ranked team in the country next week, along with three other ranked teams before getting an 11-day break to rest up for conference play.

The first team up for the Longhorns is No. 31 San Diego, in a match that was postponed today due to rain. First serve is set for 1:30 p.m. at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center.

The next team Texas will take on is No. 32 Florida State on Saturday. The Seminoles (11-2) are coming off identical 6-1 defeats of Georgia Tech and Miami. Although the Seminoles don’t have any ranked players, they have played some strong tennis so far this season, with their only two losses being to ranked teams Baylor and Florida.

The Longhorns will then face their toughest opponent on the schedule in the defending national champions, USC. The Trojans are 14-0 on the season and are currently riding a 34-match win streak. Earlier this year the Trojans also won the ITA National Team Indoor Championships. USC is led by six ranked players, including the No. 2 and No. 5 ranked players. No. 3 Steve Johnson is the defending NCAA singles champ while No. 22 Ray Sarmiento is the Southwest Regional champion. The Longhorns will have their hands full as USC also boasts the No. 6 ranked doubles team. After this match, Texas will have played all of the top three teams in the nation, after losing 7-0 at No. 3 Virginia and 4-0 to No. 2 Ohio State in the ITA National Team Indoor Chammpionships in February.

Finally, the Longhorns will wrap up this tough stretch with a doubleheader at home on March 18 against No. 22 Tulsa and UT-Permian Basin. Tulsa has three players ranked inside the top 100, and the No. 3 doubles team. The Hurricanes have upset wins over Texas Tech and Texas A&M, both teams ranked inside the top 30, so Texas will need to be focused so they don’t fall into the same trap as their other conference teams against Tulsa.

Texas will return to the courts at the end of the month when they open conference play against No. 35 Oklahoma.

Texas will hit the courts today for the second of seven matches on the schedule over the next two weeks. The Longhorns kicked the stretch off with a 7-0 shutout over TCU this past Sunday.

The No. 11 Longhorns will take on San Diego in Austin at 6 p.m. Led by No. 50-ranked freshman Soren Hess-Olesen and No. 79-ranked junior Daniel Whitehead, the Longhorns will look to add another win on the season before heading into a Saturday doubleheader against Florida State and Nicholls State.

San Diego is moving back up in the ITA rankings after dropping out of the Top 25 earlier this season. They are led by three ranked singles players — No. 63 Nikola Bubnic, No. 80 Patrick Pohlmann and No. 102 Thibaut Visy. However, the team is coming off a 5-2 loss to No. 11 California last week in which all three players were defeated.

The Longhorns will look to post another win after dominating TCU. Texas only dropped one doubles match on the day, and all but two singles matches were won in straight sets. The team will also need to avoid getting into lengthy matches, as they will only have a day to recover before hosting the doubleheader on Saturday, followed by a Tuesday home matchup against the No. 1 team in the country, USC.

This may be the toughest stretch of the Longhorn’s schedule this season. After another doubleheader on March 18, the team will get an 11-day break before starting conference play. Right now, Texas is the highest-ranked Big 12 team, followed by No. 17 Texas A&M, No. 23 Texas Tech, No. 38 Baylor and No. 35 Oklahoma, who they will face in Austin at the end of the month to start conference play.

SAN DIEGO — The U.S. Border Patrol is moving to halt a revolving-door policy of sending migrants back to Mexico without any punishment.

The agency this month is overhauling its approach on migrants caught illegally crossing the 1,954-mile border that the United States shares with Mexico.

Punishments vary by region but there is a common thread: simply turning people around after taking their fingerprints is the choice of last resort. Some, including children and the medically ill, will still get a free pass by being turned around at the nearest border crossing, but they will be few and far between.

“What we want to be able to do is make that the exception and not necessarily the norm,” Fisher told The Associated Press.


Quandre Diggs, returning a punt against Texas A&M, will play at Qualcomm Stadium, where his older brother and former Longhorns defensive back plays home games for the San Diego Chargers.

Photo Credit: Elisabeth Dillon | Daily Texan Staff

Quandre Diggs is used to following in his brother’s footsteps.

The freshman cornerback came to Texas a decade after his older brother, Quentin Jammer, starred with the Longhorns as a defensive back. Diggs is the latest pupil of secondary coach Duane Akina, who mentored Jammer for one year before he was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the first round of the 2002 NFL Draft.

Diggs is familiar with the Texas program: Akina, head coach Mack Brown and co-offensive coordinator Major Applewhite all worked with Jammer and was a major reason the freshman chose to play in Austin. He’s also familiar with Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, the site of the 2011 Holiday Bowl, where the Longhorns will take on California on Dec. 28.

“It’s great just to be able to play in the stadium that your older brother plays in,” Diggs said. “It’s the same as here. So hopefully we’ll go out and execute and win the game.”

Diggs typically spends the holiday season in San Diego anyway, where his family gathers to spend time with Jammer and cheer him on as the NFL season winds down.

He’s never been to a bowl game — most of the Longhorns haven’t either — but he’s taken in countless Chargers games over the past 11 years.

“I’ve been to plenty,” Diggs said. “So I know the stadium. I know the ins and outs of the stadium. I know San Diego in and out. I’m excited to be able to go back out there.”

The Angleton native started nine games this season and his team-high three interceptions were the second most for a freshman in school history (Chris Carter had four in 1993).

Diggs was also in the top 10 in tackles (48) and tackles for loss (4), and tied the team lead with two forced fumbles.

But the success is nothing new for Diggs, who was a top recruit in high school and has learned from the game’s best.

Jammer isn’t his only kin that played professionally; cousin Cedric Woodard spent six years in the NFL after starring at UT as a defensive lineman in the late 1990s.

“He’s really grown up in a high profile football family,” Akina said. “He has been around high quality football, so he knows how to prepare, he knows how to train in the off-season. He’s worked out with the best in the world, so he’s not intimidated by anything. For him to come in and learn as quickly as he has is really something.”

But Diggs’ impressive pedigree isn’t the only reason why he’s become one of the Longhorn’s best players. He’s a football junkie with the same love for the game as the young boy who used to beg Jammer and then-roommate Applewhite to play catch with him outside their apartment in Austin a decade ago.

“From the time I met him in first or second grade he’s always had a football in his hand,” Applewhite, who quarterbacked UT to a pair of Holiday Bowls from 2000-01, said. “Always had the latest stats. The latest Sportscenter highlights. He’s always been a gym rat. And he’s continued to be that way as he’s grown up. He’s got an infectious attitude, a lot of energy and enthusiasm. He’s a guy that’s a straight baller.”

Printed on Tuesday, December 6, 2011 as: Diggs to play on brother's home turf