A day to remember

United Flight 175 from Boston heads for the south tower of the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.

I was talking to my friend Denis O'Donnell on Thursday and the topic of Sept. 11, 2001, came up. O'Donnell, a music lover, musician and the man who keeps the bar at the Hole in the Wall humming in the afternoon, paused briefly when I asked him what he remembered about that day. 

"I remember my then-girlfriend and now-wife and I got into a huge fight that morning," he said. "She came back to the bedroom to tell me I should get up and watch the television. I wanted to tell her to get the hell out, but I got up and saw what was happening, and that kind of ended the argument."

Everyone has a story about what happened to them that day. Some are mundane, some are incredibly compelling. None will ever be forgotten. 

I was at home in Milton, Mass., on my day off from working at The Boston Globe. I remember both my kids were home sick from school. My wife was upstairs. I watched the second plane hit the towers and I drove into work and was pretty much gone for the next 36 hours or so as the staff at the paper tried to get its collective head around what had happened. The planes that hit the towers came from Boston.

I've never witnessed such intensity or emotion in a newsroom.

Something very similar must have been happening in The Daily Texan newsroom that day 10 years ago. Thanks to the work of our Web team -- headed by Web Editor Gerald Rich and our Multimedia Adviser Jennifer Rubin -- the results of that effort by the Texan staff can be seen here. It's impressive, even 10 years on.

Also impressive is the 10th anniversary 9/11 edition put out Friday by our current Texan staff. I particularly recommend this story as an entry point for the total package. The paper, like the one 10  years ago, shows a breadth and depth of coverage that is truly professional. I can't offer a higher compliment to Texan staffers past and present.