Competition and Coming Together

Today’s Daily Texan is a dichotomy of print and broadcast media breaking down some barriers while social media fosters some friendly competition.

On the friendly competition front, today marks the beginning of a six-week battle between The Daily Texan, and Texas A&M’s student newspaper, The Battalion, over who can generate the most Facebook “likes.” No money or prizes are at stake, just bragging rights in the ongoing rivalry between the Longhorns and the Aggies.

While the Facebook fight will really benefit both newspapers equally by increasing their online audiences, we still want to come out on top. So go “like” us now at http://www.facebook.com/dailytexan.

Unless of course you’re one of the growing number of people who are shunning Facebook, as Texan staff writer Aaron West, reports today.

In other great reporting news, there is the coming together of The Daily Texan and Texas Student Television with their new twice-weekly feature on the KVR News program, Daily Texan Headlines.

In the first installment, Steven Zurita, TSTV Station Manager, interviews Texan Senior Reporter Huma Munir about her article on the TEXAS Grants program.

Look for more collaboration between The Daily Texan, TSTV, KVRX, and other Texas Student Media entities in the weeks and months ahead.

And in the meantime, don’t forget to “like” us on Facebook.