TSM app keeps students in touch on the go

Texas Student Media? There's an app for that.

The iOS application, developed by Spreed Inc., is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. The latest release is 1.7, which added to the existing list of features in addition to fixing bugs and improving performance.

While Texas Student Media consists of Cactus Yearbook, The Daily Texan, KVRX 91.7 FM, Texas Travesty, and Texas Student Television, the current version of the app only features The Daily Texan, The Texas Travesty and KVRX. Planned features include the ability to stream episodes of Texas Student Television, as well as coupons and deals for restaurants and stores around UT campus.

The bulk of the app's currently available content is made up by articles from The Daily Texan, which can be browsed by date or by section (News, Opinion, Sports, Life & Arts). Each article can be rated through the app or shared through the user's preferred social network. Texas's student radio station KVRX can be streamed live with the app as well, and it includes a feature to display the DJ's name, in addition the show's title and a list of recently played tracks. The local weather forecast is also available on the main page of the app.

Spreed Inc. includes its own unusual reading method, which flashes small groups of words together on the screen rather than more traditionally displaying the entire content of the article at once, theoretically increasing reading speed and efficiency. Mileage may vary with this futuristic display method, but it is completely optional, customizable, and disabled by default.

The TSM app is far from a completed product, but the features it does include fulfill their function perfectly and are ideal for any Texas student who wants to ingest their school's student media on the go.