Volker places second in Las Vegas Invitational

Officiating and weather are said to be the only things in sports in which the players and coaches have no control. No. 14 Texas experienced the latter on Monday as weather dictated play in the Las Vegas Invitational. 

After a clear opening day in which the Longhorns ended up tied for seventh, a storm erupted stopping any play from taking place prior to the second round. Play resumed on Tuesday, but was still delayed because of fog.

Texas ended the tournament tied for No. 4 overall. The Commodores shot 15-under-par for the tournament. 

“We just did not get off to a good start here in Las Vegas and losing a round to weather hurt us,” head coach Ryan Murphy said. “This will be a learning experience for our team. You have to be ready when they ring the bell.”

Baylor, who led every step of the way, finished in first at 25-under par. UNLV finished second, losing by eight strokes. 

Freshman Greta Volker led the way for Texas, finishing No. 2 overall at 8-under-par. She fell just one stroke behind Baylor’s Amy Lee. 

“[Volker] gave herself a chance to win and came very close,” Murphy said. “The round capped a terrific fall for Greta and I could not be happier with her efforts thus far.”

Fellow freshman Emilee Hoffman finished her two rounds at 4-under-par and tied for No. 15.  Senior Julia Beck finished one stroke behind Hoffman, tied for No. 21. 

The Longhorns hope for clearer skies and drier fairways in February when official play begins once again. Their first tournament of the new year will be in Orlando, Florida for a tournament hosted by the University of Central Florida.