No. 18 Texas men's tennis plays Texas Tech

Texas travels to Lubbock this Saturday to wrap up the regular season against Texas Tech. The Longhorns are now 17-9 overall for the season and 1-3 in conference play.

Last time out Texas fell to No. 2 TCU 4-2. TCU won a tightly-contested doubles session. In singles, Texas came out strong and took the first set in five of the singles matches. The Horned Frogs fought back and took the wins at No. 1 and No. 5, giving them a 3-0 lead over the Longhorns.

Texas rallied back behind redshirt freshman Julian Zlobinsky, who edged TCU sophomore Trevor Johnson in a three-set tiebreaker, and sophomore Adrian Ortizat No. 4 singles who took down TCU freshman Eduardo Nava, cutting the score 3-2, TCU. However, the Horned Frogs clinched the win, when in the third set of the No. 2 singles match, freshman Harrison Scott was defeated by TCU freshman Alex Rybakov.

This will be senior Michael Riechmann’s final match as a Longhorn. Riechmann is currently 25-9 overall and 14-6 for dual match play.

This past Wednesday, the Big 12 Conference announced named senior Michael Riechmann, sophomore Adrian Ortiz and redshirt freshman Julian Zlobinsky to the 2016 Academic All-Big 12 Men’s Tennis Team.

All three Texas honorees earned first-team selections. Riechmann earns his second consecutive selection to the team, while Ortiz and Zlobinsky earn their first awards in their initial year of eligibility for the team.

Following this match, the Big 12 Men’s Tennis Championship and the NCAA Men’s Tennis Championship will begin.

Match play begins at 6 p.m. on Friday.