Longhorns look for strong season finish over Baylor

Senior Breaunna Addison hits the ball in Texas’ 5-2 win over Northwestern. Addison and fellow senior Lana Groenvynck will be honored in Texas’ Senior Day on Saturday.

No. 24 Texas welcomes the Lady Bears to Westwood Country Club Saturday where the Longhorns can finish their season on positive note.

Baylor and the Longhorns are coming off similar competition, last weekend both teams faced Iowa Sate and West Virginia. The No. 42 Lady Bears blanked both of the squads while Texas shut out WVU 5-0 and beat ISU 4-2. 

The Longhorns were honored this week with four players named to the Academic All-Big 12 first team. Senior Breaunna Addison was placed on the team for a third time along with other returning members, senior Lana Groenvynck and junior Neda Koprcina. Sophomore Dani Wagland was also selected, meriting her first Academic All-Big 12 selection.

The Lady Bears’ No. 91 Blair Shankle and Theresa Van Zyl also earned first team Academic All-Big 12 honors.

In league play, Texas boasts a 6-2 record and is riding a five-game win streak. The Longhorns are currently 9-1 at home. Addison remains the highest ranked Big 12 player moving up a spot to No. 10. Baylor sits at 5-3 for the season, however their 3-5 away-record shows some struggles on the road. While Shankle is also Baylor’s sole ranked player, they also hold a doubles duo of Shankle and Kiah Generette ranked close behind Addison and Wagland at No. 18.

The teams face off at 1 p.m. Saturday at Westwood Country Club. Addison and Groenvynck will be honored before the match for Senior Day.