Völker signs on for 2016–2017

Longhorn golf received a boost to its 2016–2017 prospects. 

The team announced on Monday that it had signed Greta Völker to its squad for next season. 

Völker, who hails from Witten, Germany, has already accrued a strong amateur and professional resume. 

Völker placed sixth at the German National Girls tournament, tied eighth at the German National Girls, and third in the 2015 Scottish Ladies Junior Open with a three round score of 73-79-71. 

“I am very excited that Greta has chosen Texas,” head coach Ryan Murphy said. “She is a terrific young player who is improving at a very fast pace. She has enjoyed a great deal of success over the past two years, including some great play in professional events.”

Völker also had a chance to hone her craft at the professional 2015 Homburg Open, where she finished with the 16th best score overall. 

Since graduating high school in 2015, Völker has been training in Orlando at the Annika Academy under the tutelage of Swedish professional golfer Charlotta Sörenstam.

“I feel that this experience and her connection with Charlotta has been very important in her continued development as a golfer,” Murphy said. “Greta has been shoring up all aspects of her game, much like a professional would do. She will undoubtedly compete for a traveling position on our team upon arriving on campus.”