Longhorns easily down Penn with 5-2 win

Sophomore Dani Wagland hits the ball in the team’s win over No. 4 Michigan on March 5. Texas beat Pennsylvania Thursday.

Texas took down No. 70 Pennsylvania 5-2 on Thursday after weather forced the match to be moved from Whitaker Courts to the Weller Indoor Tennis Center.

“We knew going into this it was going to be a bit of a dogfight today,” head coach Howard Joffe said.

Texas’ No. 13 doubles tandem senior Breaunna Addison and sophomore Dani Wagland beat Penn’s Sonya Latycheva and Kana Daniel at first position 6-4, and the Longhorn duo of junior Neda Koprcina and freshman Daniella Roldan pulled out a 7-5 win over Ria Vaidya and Marta Kowalska at second position to grab the doubles point.

Wagland started singles off defeating Latycheva in two 6-2 sets and was followed by Koprcina who took Penn’s Vaidya to a tiebreaker and came out victorious.

Freshman Katie Poluta helped clinch Texas’ early 4-2 triumph over Penn with her three-set win against Quaker Lina Qostal.

8th-ranked Addison still remained at the first singles spot where she battled Penn’s Daniel in three games, 6-4, 3-6 and 6-4 where she held serve and held on to carry the Longhorns to a 5-2 final win.

Despite the win, Joffe wasn’t happy with the way his team played.

“There’s no question that our group is a bit depleted,” he said. “We are 10 days away from starting conference play. Certainly, we’ll need to perform better”.

Texas resumes play with a home game Tuesday at noon against Princeton. The Longhorns finish off spring break with two away matches at Kansas on Friday and Kansas State on Sunday.