Texas goes undefeated in first day of HEB Tournament

The Longhorns’ winning ways continued in a big way Friday night in Corpus Christi.

No. 15 Texas failed to drop a set in both of its matches in the H-E-B Tournament of Champions, defeating UTSA and Louisiana-Lafayette in the first day of the competition.

The Longhorns won a pair of doubles matches in the first dual play against UTSA to earn the doubles point. Up 1-0 going into singles play, junior George Goldhoff defeated Diogo Casa by a 6-0, 6-4 count at first singles. Senior Michael Riechmann edged Eric Buchalter 6-2, 6-0 at third singles, and freshman Colin Markes took a 6-4, 6-0 win over Fabian Brand at fourth singles. With the three wins, Texas nailed down a 4-0 win.

In their second match of the day, the Longhorns topped off Louisiana in the semifinals and emerged with an easy 4-0 win. Sophomore Adrian Ortiz defeated senior Jake Wynan 6-1, 6-4 at third singles, and Riechmann beat junior Will Huyton 6-2, 6-2 at fourth singles. Sophomore John Mee dominated sophomore Vlad Kramarov 6-4, 6-1 at fifth singles, and Markes finished off junior Coleman Wahlborg 6-3, 6-4 at sixth singles.

“This was a good day for us,” Texas head coach Michael Center said.  “We had a lot of different guys contribute, and I thought we played hard and we played well. We’re excited about playing in the finals of this tournament tomorrow.”

Texas will play in the third round of the tournament Saturday at 9:30 a.m.