Longhorns look to continue success against Rice

Senior Breaunna Addison won in straight sets to help the Longhorns earn their second straight home win. Addison now boasts a 19-2 singles record.

The Texas and Rice women’s tennis teams have a lot in common.

Both teams are ranked in the 30s, and both started the team season 3-1 overall and 1-1 against ranked opponents. They also both have nationally-ranked players — the Owls with No. 34 junior  Katherine Ip, followed by No. 84 sophomore  Lindsey Hodge and the Longhorns with No. 8 senior Breaunna Addison.

Now the two teams will square off against each other on Saturday in Houston as they each try to build early season momentum. 

Addison returned to the ITA top 10 on Wednesday, becoming the first Longhorn to do so since Aeriel Ellis in 2011.  She currently sits at 89 career wins, but for win No. 90 will have to go through a familiar foe, Ip. 

Addison faced Ip in September in the semifinals of the Rice Invitational, and the two met again in October in the semifinals of the UTSA/ITA DI Women’s Texas Regional Championship. Addison emerged victorious in both matches. 

Texas sophomore Dani Wagland also competed against Ip in the quarterfinals of the Rice Invitational, in which Ip came out on top. 

Rice is currently ranked seven spots higher than the Longhorns, but Texas has had the upper hand in recent years. The Longhorns have beaten the Owls the last two years, winning 4-1 in 2014 and 4-3 in 2015.

Saturday’s match is scheduled for 11 a.m. at the George R. Brown Tennis Center in Houston.