No. 26 Texas welcomes 3 Pac-12 teams this weekend

Freshman Harrison Scott prepares to hit a backhand at the Weller Indoor Tennis Center. Scott will look to contribute early to a Longhorns roster that lost five seniors from the 2015 squad. Texas is currently ranked No. 20 in the nation.

The Longhorns return to Austin this weekend to welcome Stanford, TCU and California in dual match play. Texas is currently ranked No. 26 with a 4-4 record, and are looking to redeem their winning record this week after last weekend’s defeat in Columbus — the Longhorns lost 0-4 to Ohio State. Six of their 11-man roster will compete in this event.

Three doubles matches and six singles matches will be held each day, including No. 94 freshman Harrison Scott who has been playing at the No. 2 singles position. No. 112 senior Michael Riechmann will also play this weekend and try to defend his winning record at the No. 5 singles position.  

“We’re excited to have Cal, Stanford and TCU here in Austin, and it’s going to be a great weekend of tennis,” said head coach Michael Center. “We’ve played a really difficult schedule, and we’ve got two more outstanding teams coming in this week. It’s another opportunity to see where we’re at this season. Stanford and Cal are littered with high-end, nationally-ranked players. This will be a great test for us, and we’re looking forward to some exciting tennis this week.”

Texas will begin match play Saturday against No. 24 California, and continue play against No. 18 Stanford on Sunday. All matches will be held at the Weller Indoor
Tennis Center.