Longhorns win 4-2 against SMU

Freshman Harrison Scott prepares to hit a backhand at the Weller Indoor Tennis Center. Scott will look to contribute early to a Longhorns roster that lost five seniors from the 2015 squad. Texas is currently ranked No. 20 in the nation.

The Longhorns men’s tennis squad bounced back from a winless weekend with a Thursday night victory against No. 49 SMU 4-2, continuing in their opening month of team play.

SMU beat Texas in two of the three doubles matches, giving the Mustangs the doubles point win and a 1-0 lead heading into singles play.

The Longhorns, now 4-3 this season, quickly evened out the score in the singles round when redshirt freshman Julian Zlobinsky edged Arkadijs Slobodkins 6-3, 6-4. Freshman Harrison Scott kept the momentum with a sweep of junior Markus Kerner.  SMU quickly tied the score at 2-2; however, senior Michael Riechmann dominated en route to a 7-6, 7-5 win over Yates Johnson, again giving Texas the lead, 3-2. Freshman Rodrigo Banzer finished off the win, defeating Ronald Slobodchikov.

The Longhorns will travel to Columbus, Ohio this weekend to continue in regular season match play against No. 8 Ohio State.