Dallas Carter linebacker Cameron Hampton commits to Texas at its first Junior Day

Cameron Hampton gave the Longhorns their eighth verbal commitment of the 2014 class. 

Texas snagged its eight commitment on Sunday when Dallas Carter outside linebacker Cameron Hampton verbally committed to the Longhorns.

Hampton committed at the first of two Junior Days the Longhorns will hold this month. He joins San Antonio Brennan defensive end Derick Roberson as the only two defensive commitments of the class thus far.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Hampton will likely remain at outside linebacker in college. In addition to Texas, Hampton received scholarship offers from Louisiana State, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and others.

Hampton’s commitment injects a much-needed boost of momentum to Texas recruiting. The eight commitments in the 2014 class represent a drastic improvement over 2013. This time last year, Celina athlete Jake Raulerson was Texas’ lone commitment.

Though Hampton was the only player to commit to Texas at Junior Day, he was joined in Austin by a number of top Texas targets.

Uncommitted prospects who had already received a scholarship offer included Ozen cornerback Tony Brown, Mansfield safety Ed Paris, and Galena North Shore linebacker Zach Whitley. All three are listed among the top 250 prospects for the 2014 class by rivals.com.

Houston Lamar defensive back John Bonney also attended, and received a scholarship offer early in the day. Bonney told orangebloods.com that he will visit Ohio State, Northwestern, Auburn, and UCLA before making his decision.

Texas will hold its second Junior Day on Saturday, February 23. Unconfirmed prospects expected to attend include Mount Pleasant wide receiver KD Cannon, Cypress Falls offensive tackle Otaro Alaka, and Arlington Bowie safety Edwin Freeman.