"Rosemary's Baby" isn't bloody, but it's still scary

A lot can be said about "Rosemary’s Baby," the first US film from director Roman Polanski. It caused a social uproar when it was released, has one of the best movie posters of all time and features no gore or blood. Creepy, subversive and technically flawless, "Rosemary’s Baby" is not only a classic of the horror genre, but is a masterpiece of film.

The story follows Rosemary (Mia Farrow) as she moves into an apartment in New York City with her struggling-actor husband. She is “welcomed” by creepy elderly neighbors, and befriends a girl in the building. Said friend turns up dead, and things miraculously start looking up for Rosemary and her husband. They decide to work on a child together, and after a trippy dream sequence of Rosemary getting raped by a demon (with her elderly neighbors present), she becomes pregnant. I won’t say too much here, but for those of you that don’t know, *SPOILERS* it’s the devil’s baby *SPOILERS*. Things get weird, creepy and demonic, all assured by Polanski’s steady hand. This might sound like campy horror, but it’s just as serious and dramatic as any Academy Award winning film.

Pop culture didn’t know what to do with itself upon the release of the film, and it instantly became both taboo and the talk-of-the-town. Even Farrow’s haircut as Rosemary caused uproar, because *gasp* it was short! "Rosemary’s Baby" remains important to the horror genre today. Things get even eerier and more real once you realize Polanski’s wife, Sharon Tate, was murdered a year after the film’s release. She was eight-and-a-half months pregnant at the time.