Choosing where to sit on your first day of class is about embracing stereotypes

Walking into class on the first day of school and choosing your seat is as much about embracing stereotypes as anything else. Heed this advice and embrace yours.

Never sit in the front row if you’re not a first-row type. First-row types can be defined as those who idolize their professors, are in need of rec letter-writers or just can’t take it easy. Class for first-rowers is a symbiotic relationship. They provide professors with thought-provoking answers and attentive stares in return for glowing letters of recommendation to send to future employers.

First-row types want to be seen and heard. By all means, sit in the first row if you fall under this category and try out for the Texan. We need overachieving, do-gooders.

If you’re in a sorority or fraternity, you’re contractually required to sit next to other members of the Greek community. Keep your eyes peeled for extra-large, pastel frocket tees and Northface book bags. Greek groupings are frequently found in the middle-to-back sections of any lecture hall.

These groups are ideal for classes that rely heavily on collaboration. You’ll develop ties with other sororities and fraternities that your social chair will love.

Don’t overlook the back-row bums. More often than not, they’re smarter than you. These students will skip half of the semester but will show up on exam day and likely pass the final with an above average grade. When you sit in the back, try and avoid giving your number out. This will likely lead to annoying biweekly text that are some variation of “Did we learn anything in class the last two weeks?”  

Let’s say you’re the average student, like most of us. You’re best bet is to coordinate with friends you know are taking the same class.

You don’t know anyone? The last resort is just to sit wherever you want.

Sampson is a journalism junior from Chevy Chase, Maryland. She is an associate editor. Follow her on Twitter @katclarksamp.