Roundup should focus primarily on philanthropy

Texas Kappa Delta hosted “KD Quesadillas” during RoundUp to raise money for its local philanthropy, Austin Center for Child Protection.

This year's Roundup was huge, with more than 15,000 attendees in West Campus. Twenty-five hundred of those were non-UT students who paid $10 each for wristbands, bringing in $25,000 for IFC. Sorority-hosted philanthropy events raised $30,000.  

These numbers are impressive, and the money raised will be directed toward separate philanthropies depending on the Greek organization. Yes, Roundup is a nuisance to a majority of the non-Greek population and proved troublesome to APD this year, but the event should not be so quickly discredited. Instead, emphasis should be placed on the good that will come from so many students and non-students alike contributing to charities by means of attending these parties.  

Roundup has not been a University sanctioned event since 1990, when a series of racially charged incidents led to a dissociation between the two. Roundup was primarily a recruitment event allowing newly admitted Longhorns a chance to check out Greek life on campus. IFC and UPC put an end to that in 2013 and threatened large fines if any fraternity or sorority was found to be "dirty rushing."  

So what even is Roundup anymore? It's no longer official or a recruitment event, so IFC and UPC should maintain and even intensify their focus on philanthropy. 

Bounds is an associate editor.