Bullpen drags Texas down in loss to UCLA

Sophomore pitcher Connor Mayes got off to a rough start in the final game of Texas’ series against Stanford, giving up three runs in the first inning. Texas eventually lost 11-1.
Photo Credit: Joshua Guerra | Daily Texan Staff

Success, in show business and baseball, is hard to come by in Los Angeles.

The Longhorns proved that adage true on Sunday, dropping a 6-3 contest to No. 19 UCLA and losing the three-game series.

Texas jumped out to a 2-0 lead over the Bruins with clever baserunning and old-fashioned power.

In the third inning, sophomore Jake McKenzie stole home after sophomore Travis Jones baited the Bruins into a rundown between first and second. Then in the fourth, recently healed sophomore designated hitter Patrick Mathis launched his team leading third homerun of the season to put the Longhorns up 2-0 in the rubber game of the three game series.

But one big inning was all UCLA would need to counter.

Sophomore right-handed starter Connor Mayes was pulled with the score at 2-0 in the sixth inning after surrendering a leadoff single. Relievers, junior left-hander Jon Malmin and freshman right-hander Beau Ridgeway, erased Mayes’ efforts by surrendering six consecutive baserunners and a sacrifice bunt to hand the Bruins a 5-2 lead after six.

A UCLA insurance run in the seventh negated a Texas tally in the eighth, sealed the Bruin victory and handed the Longhorns another series loss.

Texas will take its 7-9 record to College Station on Tuesday for a 6:35 p.m. matchup against No. 3 Texas A&M.